Sunday, September 14, 2008

Milestones

It seems like that word is always associated with Aaron in my mind, but my parents just celebrated a big one---35 years! Congratulations Mom and Dad!

Matt and I will be married 10 years this summer. I think so far, we are doing pretty well with all the changes this year has bestowed upon us. When I woke up from the anesthesia after Aaron was born, my first thought was "did the baby survive" ? My second thought was "how will Matt ever forgive me?". He says that no forgiveness is necessary---and I have never felt blame from him for one minute, which I am grateful for. I can honestly say that despite the ups and downs of daily living, he has been a rock for me at times, and me for him at times. Not to mention that, thank goodness...we are both voting for Barack! I am glad we aren't a "mixed" marriage politically :)

Heard today about another baby who was sent from SJ to UM tonight for cooling cap. I really felt a pang thinking about that poor baby and family. If they ask me to go speak with her, I will. A fellow physician whose daughter is Sam's age and was cooled came to speak to us, and it helped a little. Of course, you only really care how your baby does, but it does give you some hope.

Rounding at SJ remains hard. The first day of the week is always the worst. Every time I walk past Triage room 1, I remember hearing that slow heart rate and the gasp of the nurses with the blood. I try to block out the thoughts but it is almost impossible. Luckily, once I get to the Pediatrics side of things, I feel better. I am really glad that I stayed over in the delivery side of things after Aaron was born, because the Mother Baby Unit still feels like work turf since I was never a patient there.

Speaking of SJ, last Thursday I ran into the neonatologist and pediatrician who resuscitated Aaron. The neonatologist was the one who told me he survived but gave me all the disastrous news about his condition. I remember she had tears in her eyes then. We were certainly acquainted, but I didn't know her well prior to Aaron. I always thought of her as seeming very confident, no-nonsense, all business. Turns out she definitely has a soft side. I took Aaron to a conference and she was so excited to see him. She practically grabbed him from me to hold him and was amazed by how he was doing. She actually got very emotional. She had told me once before that Aaron took years off of her life (yeah, me too!) and I could tell he was special to her. So of course, I absolutely adore her and will never have words to thank her.

No pics/video today, I will add some soon.

No comments: