Monday, September 8, 2008

Gratitude and Relief

I am so blessed. My beautiful guys recently-

This week has been momentous for us. Aaron turned 6 months old. It has brought back a lot of memories of his birth and feels like a big milestone. Part of that is because the doctors taking care of him always told us that we'd be able to know a lot more about his prognosis at 6-8 months. We look at him now, and he is sitting, babbling, trying to crawl. I honestly well up with tears at least 5-6 times a day at this point. I just am so grateful and I feel this awesome sense of relief. Am I sure that he will run the bases with his brother? No, but I am pretty sure he will walk the dogs. Am I sure that he will talk on time and have no cognitive challenges? No, but I am very sure that he loves and "gets" peek-a-boo games, will probably say Mama and Dada and will have a great time going to Disney someday. 6 months ago, I prayed for his life, 5 months ago, I prayed he would be able to use his arms and recognize us, now I honestly can say that I mostly just offer up prayers of thanks. (Ok, with the occassional wish for an "easy" life for him, whatever that means!)



So, amazingly, Aaron is meeting all of his 6 month milestones. He is one determined kid. The biggest concern from his well visit is his weight. He is at the 35th or so percentile for weight, 85th for height, and 40th for head (yay). My concern is that he has only gained 4 ounces in a month. However, we recently found out that he has allergies to milk/egg proteins found in my breast milk and he has seemed much more comfortable with eating since I went on the elimination diet from hell. Hopefully that will translate into better eating, more calories and GROWTH! He has been evaluated twice by a speech therapist who says his oral motor skills are fine, and we have a new occupational therapist coming this week for another opinion.



Anyway, I feel I am witnessing a everyday miracle (don't even get me started on those commercials with that Sara McLachlan song, I blubber everytime it is on) and whatever the future may bring for Aaron, he is already so far ahead of what ANYONE (except for probably his faithful Bubbe and Saba) expected. I am going to try to add some video of his trying to crawl this week.

No comments: