Thursday, May 28, 2009

Shoes




























So, my mom's birthday starts in a few hours and she has been struggling with foot pain all week. This has gotten me thinking a lot about feet, footsteps, and of course...shoes. No, not the fact that my mom has an enviable collection of black shoes that leaves my dad shaking his head. But- filling her shoes and walking in her footsteps.

Because my mom is THE mom. THE mom that every child should have. The kind of mom that I strive every day to be, the benchmark by which I measure how I am doing. I don't think she realizes how extraordinary she really is. Growing up, I can't tell you how many times my sister and I would hear, your mom is so (cool/nice/pretty/fun/wonderful) and we would pretty much have to nod our heads and agree. Even in the midst of being teenagers!
My mom will and does drop everything, at any time, for my sister and I. In medical school, I really messed up an exam. My mom was at my door in what felt like only minutes, with hugs and I'll admit, a few wine coolers. She has seen me at my absolute worst, more times this year than I'd like to count, and has been absolutely steadfast in her support and love. When I woke up from anesthesia, terrified, bereft, and feeling completely unlovable, I asked for my mother immediately. As terrible as I felt, and as much as I doubted anyone else's ability to forgive me, I knew my mother would not waver. I wanted my mom.

My mom is a lot of fun. Our "fearsome threesome" logged a lot of hours in motor homes and motels, going to horse shows across the state and country. I remember head lice in Allegan, my mom's witty comebacks (toothless and dog piles come to mind), turning up the radio and dancing. And when the girls got the giggles...watch out. She loves music and has amazing style. She has taught me so much about true love, generosity, class, patience, forgiveness. Not to mention all the myriad of practical stuff that mothers teach kids every day.

My mom is a GREAT bubbe. She relishes our boys with a passion that is amazing to watch. She is always up for a game of baseball, basketball, soccer. She jumps into the pool with them. She teaches them things that I didn't even think of. She has had faith when I didn't and has been right all along. They are so lucky to have her and adore her completely.


My mom is ALL mother. She stops to help strangers on the street and offers motherly advice to those in need. She told me once that she always thinks about how she would want a stranger to treat her children if she was not around and acts accordingly. How much better would this world be if we all did that!?!

My mom can't understand why her feet hurt, but I know a little secret. It's because she is the heart and soul of our family, and carries all of us on her able shoulders. And that's not always easy to do in cute shoes. I love you so much Mom. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

3 comments:

Andie said...

I second, third, fourth, etc. all of Laur's beautiful words.

Our Mom is, simply put, the best.

Retro Girl said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Gold, Lauren's mom...ummm, Kim. What do I call you now since I've known you since I was 5 years old? :-).

You must be a wonderful mom - as evident by your wonderful daughters.

Kim said...

What a beautiful birthday gift Lauren! You are so gifted in so many ways, I truly and unconditionaly love you and Andrea and always will....and those boys, they are my heart and soul!