Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Endoscopy update

Well, Aaron had the endoscopy this morning. He is such a trooper. He didn't seem to upset about forgoing his morning formula for apple juice and was quite cheerful at the hospital before the procedure. Once the CRNA did his pre-op History and Physical, we were ready to go. (It is interesting watching people's eyebrows raise when they ask his medical history and I tell them.And then, ever so cautiously, "So, how is he doing on his milestones??") I took him back to the area in the operative recovery room where they do these kinds of procedures (since there is no incision, he didn't have to be in the operating room.) Once again, I irrationally wanted to scoop him up, carry him away and forget the whole event, but I didn't, of course. There were lots of personnel there, an anesthesiology resident, the nurse anesethicist, a pediatric cardiology fellow who was probably there to practice IVs and intubation. I swallowed hard but just said, take good care of my baby. Then, I held him and sang while they put the mask on, he cried and struggled for a second, then off to dreamy land. I left before they intubated him and put the IV in. So, I think it was relatively peaceful for him. He looked so tiny on the strecher.
We waited about 45 minutes and his GI doctor came out and reported there was furrowing on his esophagus, which is suggestive, but not diagnostic for eosinophilic esophagitis. We won't know for sure until the path comes back Friday or Monday. He had done fine with no complications.

Then, about 1/2 hr later, we were called to come see him. As soon as we came into the PACU, I could hear him yelling. The recovery nurse said some kids just wake up suddenly and fighting mad, and that was our boy! Poor baby, I am sure he woke up scared. He settled downed quickly when I held him, slept a little, drank a little juice, and then we went home. Whew. So glad it is over. He seems to be doing fine now, he slept and is now eating a popsicle while I finish this post.

So, maybe a new diagnosis? I hope not, but I guess we will cross that bridge...
I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Retro Girl said...

So glad things went well yesterday. I can almost hear Aaron yelling for his mama as I type this :-). I hope to see you this afternoon.