Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sisterhood

If you were a little boy...what would you want in an aunt?



She'd have to be lots of fun. Willing to play sports and games with you, act silly, cheer you on at sporting events. She'd be among your biggest fans and delight in you. You'd like her to live really close, but if not, you'd be happy to know she made it as often as she could for special occassions. You'd want her to be there when you were born, and weep with joy when she held you for the first tiime. You'd want her to be adventurous. You'd love her to always bring a little something when she came to visit. You'd like to hear how she rushed to be by your side when your family needed her most. And if she came with a nice, talented, football fan, video-game playing companion, well, all the better :)

My boys have that and more.



If you were a big sister, what would you want in a little sister?



She'd be your first playmate. If you were a little stodgy, she'd have to lighten you up. She'd be just competitive enough to always prod you to be your best. She'd always be in your corner. She would be the one you whispered to late at night, told all your earliest girly secrets too. Let's be honest, you'd want her to be the student to your teacher and let you choreograph the dance and swimming routines...but you'd be ok with switching roles sometimes. She'd have to be lots of fun and make you laugh until you cried. You'd want to protect her, always.

I had that and more.



If you were me, what would sisterhood mean to you?



It means having someone so different from you and so much the same. It means finishing each other's sentences and having some spooky connections. It means being so proud of my little sister- her spirit and smarts, her tolerance and tenacity. She makes me want to be better. Sometimes, it has meant fear...when her adventurous spirit collided with my worrywart ways! (Can I say transitional?) It means always having a sounding board and trusted advisor, a shoulder to cry on. It means unconditional love and support from someone who truly knows me, all my flaws, and loves me anyhow. It means fashion advice! It means everything to me and I can't imagine my life without my beloved sister---Sisters are forever! And yes, forever is way way past 30!

Happy Birthday Andie, we love you so much.






No comments: