Monday, January 19, 2009

What next?

Well, what a wonderful week we have ahead of us. I feel like 2009 is going to be the year of realization of improbable dreams. In the country, an African-American man, a man who reveres learning and cooperation, who picked as a partner a strong, accomplished, opinionated woman is the PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES! It still amazes and impresses me. I never thought I'd see this day. And in one small corner of this country, on a much smaller, but I think no less important scale, a little boy who came into the world under the most difficult of circumstances, a boy who was expelled cruelly from the womb, whose little mind was starved, chilled and rebelled with seizures---that little boy zooms around the room, barely hanging on to the edges, on his OWN two feet. He seems to also say, "YES I CAN!" I never thought I'd see this day.

I pray today that G-d watches over that great man and that brave little boy. I don't think either will have entirely smooth sailing ahead. I think of a 19 year old mother (so young!) raising a little boy many years ago, trying to teach him how to walk proud and strong in a world that can be so cruel. I hope she is looking down on her son today, marvelling at all he has accomplished. Could she ever have imagined?? Did she dream of such greatness for him? Or did she wish only for his safety, good health, and some smaller slice of the American dream? I say only, but really, these dreams are also not to be taken for granted. These are my dreams and I hope in this year of sweet victory, my baby continues to forge his own amazing path. And I honor that young mother who travelled the world, seemed to see people with clear eyes and an open heart, valued books and learning and diversity, and raised the 44th President. My heart aches that she didn't live to see this day.

No comments: