Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hello 2009




Well, I can't believe that it is already the 8th of January. I am getting older by the minute, but so are we all right?!?! Better than the alternative... the above picture is of our family at a recent UM basketball game. They lost that one...but they are doing pretty well overall! GO BLUE!






Aaron seems to do something new every day lately. He is standing for probably 30 seconds at a time without holding on to anything. It is the funniest thing, he looks at you to make sure you are watching and grins! He is showing a lot of interest in books and for you parents out there, is really loving our old favorite "Pat the Bunny" He does a few of the activities like scratching the face and playing peek a boo. I remember when Sam started "sniffing the flowers", it was the cutest. He turns the pages very well now. He also loves to zoom his push cart across the house, he really gets going. His rocking horse is also a favorite, MAYBE he will be the "horsey" one. He is also showing some real promise at "throw the ball", though Sam is unimpressed. I clapped today and Sam sort of rolled his eyes and said, "He didn't even get it in the basket!" Lastly, he bites. Hard. Not so cute, but I am trying to be a faithful reporter. His latest sounds include "Oh!, OOH!, W, N, something that sounds like more, something that sounds like good"






His eating is improving a little bit. The Prevacid? Age? Not sure. He will now eat his bottles with less difficulty, sort of back to where he was before the latest downward spiral. And he takes at least 1/4 cup of purees at most meals. We have a slew of evals and appts coming up. One encouraging thing I have been noticing this week is that he is actually getting fussy at meal times and seems happy to get in his chair sometimes! For Aaron, this is huge. I used to think I could not feed him for days and he wouldn't care.






Sam got the stomach flu yesterday, but luckily it seems to be the 24 hour variety. I hope. I am really really hoping Aaron avoids it. Sam also started swim class this week. I had to practically drag him there, he complained for days about it and the minute it ended he wanted to know, "When can we do it again?" He is in such a daddy phase right now, it is all about daddy. Matt has rock star status, and I am more like a servant! It is actually the hardest thing for me about staying home with the kids...I am totally old hat! Small price I guess :)






This is a recent link to a cool cap kiddo I found, another uterine rupture survivor. LOVE THESE STORIES!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the comment you left on my blog. I am sorry to hear you and your little boy went through this horrible experience at birth, but I'm also happy to hear they have this new technology and he was able to benefit from it. Kiko definitely could have used a cool cap when he was born! It took ages for the swelling in his brain to go down. It makes me happy that scientists are making advances in this area.

Aaron sounds as though he's doing really well physically. No wonder his physiotherapist is pleased with him. Kiko lay on his back and did nothing until he was over 8 months old (apart from make a racket - heh! Nothing much changes!) He wasn't standing properly until he was 12 months old. What I've found with him is that he seems to be behind other kids, then suddenly, overnight, he will do a big jump and catch up. He's 3 now and I honestly can't say he has noticeable problems caused by his birth. He is asthmatic, but might have been anyway... and he seems to be ambidextrous and I do sometimes wonder if that was caused by the disruption to his brain! I hope your little boy continues to do well on the road to recovery, and also that he finds his appetite! I know that can be such a worry.

It is terrible to go through an experience like this but not a day goes past when I don't feel grateful for advanced medicine and the people who saved Kiko's life. These babies are so precious!