Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two steps forward...one step back

Whew. It has been a rough couple of days. I am not sure why, but Aaron is back to his old hatred of his bottle over the last few days. His eczema is also worse, so I am wondering whether I had an accidental exposure to egg or dairy. The only thing I can think of is when we ordered in Middle Eastern food. I asked about it, but I am not sure how seriously they took my inquiries.

Anyway, yesterday, Sam was home from school for the whole day, and I was so looking forward to spending the day with him. All morning, Aaron cried and fussed. I couldn't get him to take more than 2 ounces. So of course, Sam was left to play by himself again. He is starting to get wise to the fact that Mama always has to take care of Aaron. I was so upset I had to put him down to fuss and call Matt for moral support. I was crying by then too! Finally, I just packed Aaron up and we went berry picking as planned, which was fun. Then Aaron screamed the entire 25 minutes home, despite me trying to feed him several times. When we got home, he ate as if nothing had happened. It just makes every attempt at normalcy difficult. Especially since I am not one to sit home a whole lot.

As usual the afternoon and evening was better. Our babysitter and dear friend came by and couldn't believe how good Aaron looked. He took his solids great. Matt was gone at a meeting and the boys and I had dinner together. Aaron was doing so well with solids that I gave him his first teething biscuit (dairy free) which he loved. He fell asleep and I stayed up getting things ready for the next day. Just when I was ready to fall into bed exhausted, he woke up. He then screamed horribly for almost 2 hours. I was ready to take him for a drive or to the ED because he was nearly inconsolable, when he finally fell asleep around 130 am. He slept for a couple of hours, was up at 330 and then I had to get up to make it to a meeting for work at 530. Then once again, bad bottle this AM. He continues to do well with solids, so that's good.
Maybe it was the biter biscuit...

Anyhow, today, I was pretty exhausted. We had a good experience seeing the ladies who saved Aaron's life, which I will save for another post. He also had his hearing test, which he was not very cooperative for and needs to be repeated in a month. By the afternoon, I felt sick with fatigue and frustration. I have tried hard to not interfere too much with Matt's hours at work, since he is our main earner now, but when he called, I asked if he could come home early. He did- thanks honey- and I just went to bed for an hour and a half. I didn't even make dinner and you know what, we made do! The sleep was indescribably wonderful! I feel so much better and a lot better able to care for Aaron and Sam tonight and tomorrow. I am hoping for a better day tomorrow...

No comments: